of the XIV International Film Festival
I. GENERAL RULES
The XIV International film festival "Northern Character » (hereinafter referred as the Festival) will be held in Murmansk (Russia) 14-20 November 2022.
Theme of the Festival: “The attraction of the North”
The North has always been attracting romantics and adventurers. The Polar region as a magnet keeps attracting and capturing by its unique nature, and incredibly brave and open people.
The organizers of Northern Character International Film Festival invite filmmakers and journalists from different countries to present their films to the films-in competition program. There are films of different genres, covering a wide range of topics: from history to present day, from searching the meaning of life to choosing their place in life by the film characters.
We are glad to see all the filmmakers in hospitable Murmansk, harsh and heartful North attracts talents giving a chance to show the best films and programs.
Mission of the festival:
- to raise awareness of the world about the life in the High North, about the perspectives for development and careful use of the arctic territories;
- to allow film and tv-program makers to expand their audience;
- to create a platform for future joint creative work;
- young journalists and filmmakers can improve their professional skills in making tv-programs and films.
II. ORGANIZATION OF THE FESTIVAL
The organizer of the Festival: Northern Character Production Center.
The festival is supported by:
Ministry of culture of the Russian Federation
Presidential Fund of Cultural Initiatives
Government of Murmansk region, represented by the Ministry of culture of Murmansk region
Russia’s Cinematographers Union
Film Production Development Center of Murmansk Region
Russia’s Journalists Union
Russian Geographic Society
Regional Palace of culture and folk art of S.M.Kirov
Murmansk regional local lore museum
Murmansk regional arts museum
Murmansk children’s theatre school
Murmansk Arctic State University
Murmansk regional scientific universal library
Official languages: Russian and English
III. FESTIVAL PROGRAM
Competitive screenings of festival films
Viewing and discussing films and TV-programs
Workshops with Russian and foreign documentary filmmakers and film directors
Presentation of TV and film projects
Out-of-competition screening of films and TV programs
Cultural program (including excursions)
IV. FESTIVAL NOMINATIONS
1. Best Feature Film
2. Best Documentary - under 90 minutes.
3. Best Documentary - under 60 minutes.
4. Best TV program/film – under 60 minutes
5. Short Film – under 30 minutes
6. TV Series – first episode is presented
V. CONDITIONS AND BASIC REQUIREMENTS
We accept for participation in the Festival competition programs in different genres, TV and documentary, feature and short films by state, municipal and private television companies, studios, individuals, aired in 2020-2022.
One filmmaker may not submit more than one film in one nomination.
The deadline for applications, completed films (with English subtitles), for participation in the competition is September 15, 2022.
Please note: the film version submitted the application is considered final and cannot be replaced.
Films submitted after September 30, 2022 will not be eligible for the competition.
The works are previewed by the Expert Council, that makes a decision on their inclusion in the competition program of the Festival. The Expert Council does not review the submitted video materials (programs, films).
The results of the competition are summed up by the international jury of the Festival. Films recognized as winners by the International Jury will be awarded with Diplomas and prizes. The Jury decides on awarding special prizes “Best directing”, “Best cinematography”, “Best coverage of youth/children theme”, “Best coverage of culture”.
The Jury decides on the Grand Prix, the main award of the Festival. The results of the competition will be announced at the Award Ceremony for the winners of the Festival November 19, 2022 in Murmansk.
Journalists wishing to cover the festival need to register by filling out the application at https://www.northchar.ru/rus before November 7, 2022. The accreditation is free.
VI. REQUIRED DOCUMENTS FOR PARTICIPATION IN THE COMPETITION
1. An application for participation in the competition is filled out at the website https://www.northchar.ru/ (for films in other languages than Russian, a film script in English is required, the script should be attached to the application).
2. Form of submission of films:
a) Video data carrier: Internet file (Vimeo, Dropbox, Yandex.Disk, google-drive, cloud.mail.ru) NB: Videos from YouTube are not accepted!
b) Video and audio data format: content *. avi , *. mpeg (*. mpg ), * .mp4, *. mov , * .m2ts (encoder: MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, or Microsoft DV PAL
Audio / video in *. vob are not accepted!
Recommended file size - 5-7 GB
c) The audio track of a film, program or story must be mixed in both L and R channels with a sound level of -11dB
Audio data format: PCM (Stereo , 48KHz 16 bit , 2 channels), MPEG Audio Layer-2 (48KHz 224 or 256 kbps , 2 channels), AAC, AC3.
Each competition film must have an identification leaderboard, indicating: name, timing, production company, filmmakers. Films with defects in the image, sound, presented in a different format, are not allowed to the competition.
3. Films for competition must have English subtitles. It is not allowed to overlay titles with "creeping line". The standard for subtitles is 2 (two) lines, taking into account the standard zone of their safe location.
4. For Russian participants - a completed form for giving the right of non-commercial use to Northern Character Production Center, materials submitted as part of the Northern Character film marathon, the use of program / film fragments in special stories, videos about the Northern Character International Film Festival”(the form is included in the application).
5. Materials for the booklet: brief information about the filmmaker / program, shots from the film ( 1-2 photos, JPG 720x576, 24 bit ), film resume (up to 250 characters!), Name of the production company, contact phone numbers, email. Information should be presented in Russian and English. (All information is indicated in the application)
For foreign participants: the name of the film is indicated in the original language and in English.
VII. TERMS OF PARTICIPATION
The festival does not cover travel and accommodation. The organizers cover the meals, accreditation for all festival events for 1 (one) representative of the creative group of the film admitted to the competition. Other film crew representatives wishing to take part in the Festival bear their own food costs.
VIII. NOTE Programs/films shown at the Festival are not eligible for screening fees.
Fragment of a film, sent to the Festival may be used for advertizing and information to promote the Festival and cover it in the media.
The Festival directorate guarantees the protection of the materials submitted for the competition from illegal duplication and distribution without the consent of the author. Festival participants are responsible for the authorship and quality of all submitted projects. Compliance with copyright and related rights is carried out in accordance with the legislation of the Russian Federation.
Claims and third party claims, including copyright holders and related rights, are resolved on behalf of the participant who submitted the film and at his expense.
The Organizing Committee of the Festival is not responsible for claims and claims related to copyright and related rights submitted to the competition of programs (films).
Films/programs submitted for participation in the competition will not be returned.
IX. CONTACT INFORMATION
Programs /films, applications, printed version of titles are accepted in electronic form
marked Northern Character Festival.
Organizing Committee of the Festival :
Soldatova Svetlana - President of the Festival, + 7 921 511 05 00, email@example.com
Yuri Erofeev - Executive Director, +7 921 036 00 40, firstname.lastname@example.org
Osminina Svetlana - Commercial Director, +7 911 303 21 90, email@example.com
Jakonyk Anastasia – coordinator, press-secretary, +7 911 304 4 4 24, firstname.lastname@example.org
Danilchenko Olga - coordinator, + 7 921 287 03 93, email@example.com