Of Northern Character - XIII International Film Festival
(24 - 28 November 2021)
I. GENERAL RULES
Northern Character - XIII International Film Festival (hereinafter referred to as the Festival) will be held in Murmansk (Russia) November 24 - 28, 2021.
Festival theme: "People of the North"
How do people live in the Far North? What inspires them for love, work, and creativity? How do they see their future and the life of their children? What challenges shape and temper their character? The organizers invite filmmakers and journalists to tell about the Arctic problems through the lives of people who have lived, live now and will live in the North.
Mission of the Festival:
- to unite the journalists and filmmakers of the Northern countries;
- to raise awareness of the world community about the life of people in the Far North, about the perspectives for development and careful use of the Arctic territories;
- to enable the authors of TV programs and films to expand their audience,
- to create a platform for further joint creativity;
- for young journalists and filmmakers - to improve their professional level in the production of tv-programs and films.
II. ORGANIZATION OF THE FESTIVAL
Organizer of the Festival: Northern Character Production Center
The Festival is supported by:
The Presidential Grants Foundation;
The Government of Murmansk region represented by the Ministry of Culture of Murmansk region
Film Production Development Center of the Murmansk Region;
Cinematographers Union of the Russian Federation
Journalists Union of Russia";
Tromsø International Film Festival (TIFF);
Nordic Journalism Center Update;
Regional Palace of Culture and Folk Art named after S. M. Kirov
Murmansk Regional Museum of Local Lore
Murmansk Regional Art Museum
Murmansk children's theater school
Murmansk Arctic State University
Murmansk State Regional Universal Scientific Library
Murmansk Regional Branch of the North-West Branch of MegaFon
Barents Branch of WWF Russia
International Association of Journalists "Barents-Press"
Cinema Foundation of Northern Norway
Norwegian Radio and Television NRK
Official languages: Russian and English
III. FESTIVAL PROGRAM
Competitive screenings of festival films
Views and discussions of TV programs and films
Master classes of Russian and foreign documentary and feature filmmakers
Presentations of TV and film projects
Out-of-competition screening of films and television programs
Cultural program (including excursions)
IV. FESTIVAL NOMINATIONS
1. "Full-length feature film"
2. "Documentary" - up to 90 minutes
3. "Documentary" - up to 60 minutes
4. "TV program / film" - up to 60 minutes
5. "Short feature film" - up to 30 minutes
V. CONDITIONS AND BASIC REQUIREMENTS
Programs of various genres, television and documentary, full-length and short feature films created by state, municipal and private television companies, studios, private individuals and aired in 2019-2021 are accepted to participate in the creative competition of the Festival.
One author may not submit more than one work in one nomination.
The deadline for applications, finished works (with English subtitles) for participation in the competition is until September 15, 2021 sharp.
Please note: film version submitted with the application is considered final and may not be altered or replaced.
Films received after September 15th will not be eligible for the competition.
The films are previewed by the Expert Council, which makes a decision on their inclusion in the competition program of the Festival. The Expert Council does not review the submitted video materials (programs, films).
The results of the competition are summed up by the international jury of the Festival. Films recognized as winners are awarded with Diplomas. By the decision of the jury, special prizes are established: “For the best director's work”, “For the best camera work”, “For the best disclosure of the topic of youth / children”, “For the best coverage of the topic of culture”. The jury also awards the main award of the Festival – the "Grand Prix." The results of the competition will be announced at the Ceremony of Awards of the Festival winners on November 27, 2021 in Murmansk.
Journalists wishing to cover the work of the festival must register by filling out an application form on the website https://www.northchar.ru/eng by November 15, 2021. The accreditation is free of charge.
VI. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR PARTICIPATION IN THE COMPETITION
1. An application for participation in the competition is filled out on the website http://northchar.ru/ (for films in languages other than Russian, a film script in English is required; the script is attached to the application).
2. Form of submission of works:
a) Video data sourse: Internet file (Vimeo, Dropbox, Yandex.Disk, Google drive, cloud.mail.ru) important: Videos from YouTube are not accepted!
b) Video and audio data format: content * .avi, * .mpeg (* .mpg), * .mp4, * .mov, * .m2ts (encoder: MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, or Microsoft DV PAL
Audio / video in * .vob format are not accepted!
Recommended file size - 5-7 GB
c) The audio track of a film, program or story must be mixed in both L and R channels with a sound level of -11dB
Audio data format: PCM (Stereo, 48 KHz 16 bit, 2 channels), MPEG Audio Layer-2 (48KHz 224 or 256 kbps, 2 channels), AAC, AC3.
Each film in competition must have an identification leaderboard, which indicates: name, timing, manufacturing company, authors of the work. Materials that have defects in the image, sound, presented in a different format, are not allowed to the competition.
3. Contest entries must have subtitles in English. It is not allowed to overlay titles with "creeping line". The standard for subtitles is 2 lines, taking into account the standard zone of their proper location.
4. For Russian participants - a completed form for the transfer of the right to non-commercial use of the submitted materials within the framework of the Northern Character Cinema Marathon, the use of program / film fragments in special stories, videos about the Northern Character International Film Festival (the form is included in the application).
5. Materials for the booklet: brief information about the makers of the film / program, stills from the film (1-2 photographs (JPG 720х576, 24 bit), annotation for the film (up to 250 characters!), Name of the manufacturer, contact phone numbers, address e-mail. Information must be submitted in Russian and English. (All information is indicated in the application)
For foreign participants: the title of the work is indicated in the original language and duplicated in English.
VII. THE TERMS OF PARTICIPATION
The festival does not pay for the participant's travel and accommodation. The organizing committee may, in an exceptional case, cover the travel costs and (or) accommodation of one representative of the film selected for the competition program of the festival. The organizers cover the costs of food, accreditation for all festival events for 1 (one) representative of the creative group of the film admitted to the competition. The rest of the members of the creative group, who wish to participate in the festival, bear the cost of food themselves.
Programs/films shown at the Festival are not paid any screening fees.
A fragment of a film presented at the Festival can be used in advertising and information activities related to the promotion of the Festival and coverage of its results.
The Directorate of the Festival guarantees the protection of the materials submitted for the competition from illegal duplication and distribution without the consent of the author. Festival participants are responsible for the authorship and quality of all submitted projects. Compliance with copyright and related rights is carried out in accordance with the legislation of the Russian Federation. Claims and third parties claims, including copyright holders and related rights, are resolved on behalf of the participant who submitted the work and at his own expense.
The Organizing Committee of the Festival is not responsible for claims and claims related to copyright and related rights submitted to the competition of programs (films).
Films / programs submitted for participation in the competition will not be returned.
IX. CONTACT INFORMATION
Programs/films, applications, printed version of titles are accepted in electronic form marked " Northern Character Festival.
WEB site: https://www.northchar.ru/eng
Organizing Committee of the Festival:
Yuri Erofeev - Executive Director, +7 921 036 00 40, email@example.com
Osminina Svetlana - Commercial Director, +7 911 303 21 90, firstname.lastname@example.org
Yakonyuk Anastasia - coordinator, press secretary +7 911 304 44 24, email@example.com
Danilchenko Olga - coordinator, + 7 921 287 03 93, firstname.lastname@example.org