Festival Regulations 2017
X NORTHERN CHARACTER
International Film & TV Festival
(November 23-25, 2017)
1. GENERAL RULES
X Northern Character International Film and TV Festival will be held in Murmansk (Russia) November 23-25, 2017.
The Festival’s slogan is Drawn to the North . The Festival focuses on people, living in the North, having managed to understand this rough beauty. The beauty that creates our world and inspires other people to overcome difficulties.
The Festival´s mission:
- to unite journalists and filmmakers of Northern countries
- to provide world community with more information about people’s life in northern regions, about perspectives of development and environmental friendliness in the Arctic;
- to give authors of TV programs and films an opportunity to enlarge their audience and exchange experiences and opinions with other professionals
- to build up a platform for joint creative work in the future;
- for young journalists and filmmakers – to get a possibility to increase their professional competence.
2. ORGANIZATION OF THE FESTIVAL
Organizers of the Festival
North-West Broadcasting Company TV21 (LLC)
Northern Character Production Center (non-commercial organization)
Festival is supported by
Ministry of Culture, Russian Federation
Murmansk Regional Government
Kola Nuclear Power Station, department of the Rosenergoatom Concern
Partners of the Festival
Kirov Culture Center
Murmansk Museum of Local History
Murmansk Museum of Arts
Children’s Theater School, Murmansk
Murmansk State Arctic University
Murmansk State Library of Science
Murmansk Regional Department of Megafon, North-West branch.
Barents Press International Journalist Network
Tromsø International Film Festival TIFF, Norway
Murmansk branch of the Russian Journalist Union
Nordic Journalist Center, Århus, Denmark Update
Norwegian Barents Secretariat
Northern Norwegian Film Center NNFS
Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation NRK
Official languages – Russian and English.
3. PROGRAM OF THE FESTIVAL
- Screenings of films and TV-programs in competition
– Presentations and discussions of films and TV-programs
– Master-classes by Russian and foreign filmmakers
– Media Forum - debate on actual themes TBA
– Presentation of television and film projects
– Out-of-competition screenings
– Cultural program (including excursions).
4. NOMINATIONS OF THE FESTIVAL
1. Documentary Film
2. Documentary Debut (for fresh filmmakers)
3. TV- Program
5. Program/Film about Culture
6. Youth (Children) Program/Film
7. Short Fiction Film
5. CONDITIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
Programs of various genres, TV and documentary films, short fiction films, music video and reports produced by state, municipal and private TV companies; studios and independent filmmakers can participate in the competition. The works must premiere in 2016-2017.
One and the same film/TV-program cannot compete in more than one nomination.
One participant (or one production company) cannot compete with more than one work in one nomination.
Deadline for applications and works (NB! with English subtitles) is September 15, 2017.
Films/TV-programs submitted later than September 15 will not be accepted by the Festival.
The Festival´s Expert Council will select the films/TV-programs to be in competition. The members of the Expert Council are Svetlana Soldatova –Festival President, Yuri Erofeev – Executive Festival Director, Andrey Privalikhin – journalist, Elena Belkina – journalist with the State TV Company “Murman”, Alexandr Timofeev – director of the Arctic Exhibition Center “Nuclear Icebreaker Lenin”. The Expert Council has the final decision about works in competition. The Council does not comment on the received works.
The International Festival Jury has the final decision of prize winners and honorably mentioned participants of the Festival. Prize winners are awarded prizes, while honorably mentioned participants are awarded diplomas. The Jury also awards Special Prizes: Best Director's work, Best Camera Work.
The Jury awards Grand Prix of the Festival.
The Jury´s Results will be announced at the Festival Closing Ceremony on November 25, 2017 in Murmansk.
Journalists who want to cover Northern Character Festival 2017, have to register by a special application form on the web-site http://northchar.ru before November 10, 2017. Press accreditation is free of charge.
6. NECESSARY FORMALITIES FOR FESTIVAL PARTICIPANTS:
An electronic application form must be filled in on the Festival web-site: http://northchar.ru/eng.
Non-Russian films/TV-programs must be accompanied with scripts in English, including time codes TC. The English script (Word or txt-file) must be submitted together with the application.
2. Technical requirements for film/TV-programs in competition:
a) Video source: internet file (Internet download by Vimeo, Dropbox, Yandex.Disc, google-drive, cloud.mail.ru) NB: Video file from YouTube is not admitted!
b) Video file format: *.avi, *.mpeg (*.mpg), *.mp4, *.mov, *.m2ts (coder: MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, or Microsoft DV PAL)
NB: Audio/video in the format *.vob is not admitted.
RECOMMENDED FILE SIZE: Max 5-7 GB
Audio format – stereo
Audio tracks: on both channels L and R. Sound level: -11dB.
Audio format: PCM (Stereo, 48KHz 16 bit, 2 channels), MPEG Audio Layer-2 (48KHz 224 or 256 kbps, 2 channels), ААС, АС
Every file/disc of film/TV-programs/-reports submitted to the Festival must carry an identification label including: Title, duration, name of production company and authors.
NB! Tapes and disks with technical defects and presented in other formats than mentioned are not admitted.
3. English subtitles
All films/TV-programs/-reports must have English subtitles.
Use of scrolling text is not allowed for subtitles. Accepted subtitle standard: 2 lines per image, placed within the standard safe framing zone.
4. Additional form for Russian participants
Russian participants must complete and attach an additional rights agreement form (see application form), agreeing to lend the festival organizer North-West Broadcasting Company TV21 the rights for non-commercial screenings of the film/TV-program/report on the channels TV21 and TV21+, as well as within the frames of Northern Character´s Film Marathon. Parts of it may also be used in TV21’s special programs about the festival.
Russian participants must complete and attach an additional rights agreement form (see application form), agreeing to lend the festival organizer TV21 the rights for non-commercial screening of the film/TV-program/report, as well as using parts of it in TV21s own programs.
5. Compulsory requirements for the Festival booklet:
a) Brief information about the authors of the film/TV-program(-report)
b) 1-2 screen-shots from the film (JPG 720х576, 24 bit)
c) Brief description/annotation of the film (maximum 250 symbols!),
d) Name of production company. NB! Full address, phone numbers, e-mail.
The booklet information must be in English and submitted together the festival application.
NB! For foreign participants: The work title must be written both in English and in the original language.
6. TERMS FOR PARTICIPANTS
Travel costs (tickets, hotel) are not covered by the Festival. The Festival does cover meals and accreditation for one representative of the film/TV-program. Other participants must cover these expenses themselves.
The Organizing Committee is not responsible for claims and lawsuits concerning copyrights of films/TV-programs shown at the Festival.
Submitted films and TV-programs will not be returned.
9. CONTACT INFORMATION
Programs/films, application forms, printed version of subtitles should be sent electronically
Please, note Northern Character Film&TV Festival
Telephone/fax: 8 (8152) 400-870, additional 125
1. Svetlana Soldatova –Festival President
+7 921 511 05 00, firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Yury Yerofeev – Executive Festival Director
+7 921 036 00 40, email@example.com
3. Svetlana Osminina – commercial director
+7 911 303 21 90, firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Roman Akhmetshin – technical director
+ 7 911 301 94 69, email@example.com
5. Olga Danilchenko – coordinator
+ 7 921 287 03 93, firstname.lastname@example.org
6. Anastasia Yakonjuk – coordinator
+7 911 304 44 24, email@example.com
7. Irina Mironova – coordinator
+ 7 921 605 23 28, firstname.lastname@example.org
8. Vasilisa Gordeeva – coordinator + 7 908 607 80 23, email@example.com
9. Hilde Korsaeth – coordinator (Norway)
10. Tamara Sushko – coordinator (Sweden), firstname.lastname@example.org
11. Maria Karimova – press-secretary, + 7 921 163 46 29, email@example.com